Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
78 Posts
I wrote you a long response, then realized I don't care what you think. I'm not a liar, it does what I said, but my area is very flat. I can buy whatever I want, and chose the gas version for a myriad of reasons. Anyone with google can find out why. If you want a diesel, I suggest another brand. If you want a good towing truck that lasts, for a good deal, choose the titan XD 5.6 IMHO.

·
101 Posts
My guess is that because his trailer is not as tall as the TT and 5th wheels, he gets the better MPG, I've found that wind resistance effects MPG way more than weight. Even with that, that's is some good MPG.

·
78 Posts
Trailer height has much affect for sure. I also don't speed towing, often running a little under when safe. Try and stay in the middle lane, and I use cruise control whenever possible. Also, the air bags helped get me into that range by putting a rake back into the truck (nose down) while towing. I was and am still surprised by my mpgs. I never expected anything over 10 towing. For this reason, I checked against GPS speed many times. Still not sure why it would be higher than other has titan XDs, go figure. Trust me though, I would not be saying nice things about my truck's mileage if it weren't true. I was pissed about my previous ecoboost mileage, IIRC that truck weighed about 4400 lbs compared to the 6k of the 5.6 XD and it achieved less MPGs towing than this heavy truck. TBH, I'd trade some of the XDs towing MPG for daily unburdened MPGs. The XD isn't perfect, but tows so much better than than the 2018 F150 3.5 ecoboost it replaced. That ford got much better MPGs when not towing, but was scary towing with the same trailer, even with a WDH. On this truck, I don't even use my blue ox WDH unless I'm pretty sure I'm towing over 10k.

I looked at the Xd 5.0 when they first came out, and test drove a gas version when they came out. I really liked how the 5.6 drove. Good power even with a hefty weight. Roomy, different, less plastic inside than most others, and wasn't like every other truck in every parking lot. I liked the idea of the Diesel in the XD, and was interested in one, and couldn't decide between the motors. Then, after driving my friends 2017 PR towing my trailer, we had issues on a trip. It went into low power mode a few times on a 350 mile trip to vegas and back from Phx. During the first hour I was sold on the whole package. The manners and comfort etc of the truck reaffirmed what i was already thinking. But about two hours in, we had to pull off the highway and shut the truck off / restart a few times over the next few hours just to keep going. Along the trip he opened up about how many issues he had already, and how he was thinking of trading it in. Since that trip earlier this year, His 5.0 has started mysteriously eat coolant now, and occasionally throws codes and crazy amounts of dash lights, then clears itself with no actions taken. It's currently at Nissan, and he's been driving an Armada loaner for the past couple of weeks. He loves the truck but is about ready to take any offer on it from Nissan or another brand due to the issues and down time. He said that more than anything else, he's just lost trust in it. The real kicker for me was the lame mileage he said the cummins got. IIRC it was 1-2 better than my gas truck with the same trailer. The extra weight of the motor, causing less payload, sluggish 6 speed trans, egr / coolant DEF issues etc etc etc just makes the case for gas IMHO.

Now that they've decided to drop that engine for 2020, I guess you can only hope that they will keep trying to fix the engineering issues and apply them to existing diesels before the warranty is up. No disrespect meant to anyone with the 5.0, but can you blame me for having this opinion?

From everything I read before making my decision, the issues, the mileage, the dealers having no clue, I just can't understand choosing the cummins now. And for the record, i don't hate diesels (unless the owner roles coal.. F*** those guys). From the sounds of it, even my old 2007 ford 6.0 PSD had less trouble than many of these 5.0s. If anyone knows the early version of that motor, they had a laundry list of problems. Mine only ever had one head gasket issue fixed under warranty (determined to be stretched head bolts) I also own another ford still, a f250 with the 6.2. On paper it has much better payload and another 1000 lbs of towing ability, but tows no better than the XD, and is much less comfy. The only part that is better was almost no squat with the trailer attached, the tech is much better, and the pano roof is nice I guess.

i understand someone getting defensive about buying something like the XD Diesel, and having some guys come along saying there isn't much reason to choose the more expensive diesel version, but let's not call each other liars, deal?

·
1,088 Posts
Trailer height has much affect for sure. I also don't speed towing, often running a little under when safe. Try and stay in the middle lane, and I use cruise control whenever possible. Also, the air bags helped get me into that range by putting a rake back into the truck (nose down) while towing. I was and am still surprised by my mpgs. I never expected anything over 10 towing. For this reason, I checked against GPS speed many times. Still not sure why it would be higher than other has titan XDs, go figure. Trust me though, I would not be saying nice things about my truck's mileage if it weren't true. I was pissed about my previous ecoboost mileage, IIRC that truck weighed about 4400 lbs compared to the 6k of the 5.6 XD and it achieved less MPGs towing than this heavy truck. TBH, I'd trade some of the XDs towing MPG for daily unburdened MPGs. The XD isn't perfect, but tows so much better than than the 2018 F150 3.5 ecoboost it replaced. That ford got much better MPGs when not towing, but was scary towing with the same trailer, even with a WDH. On this truck, I don't even use my blue ox WDH unless I'm pretty sure I'm towing over 10k.

I looked at the Xd 5.0 when they first came out, and test drove a gas version when they came out. I really liked how the 5.6 drove. Good power even with a hefty weight. Roomy, different, less plastic inside than most others, and wasn't like every other truck in every parking lot. I liked the idea of the Diesel in the XD, and was interested in one, and couldn't decide between the motors. Then, after driving my friends 2017 PR towing my trailer, we had issues on a trip. It went into low power mode a few times on a 350 mile trip to vegas and back from Phx. During the first hour I was sold on the whole package. The manners and comfort etc of the truck reaffirmed what i was already thinking. But about two hours in, we had to pull off the highway and shut the truck off / restart a few times over the next few hours just to keep going. Along the trip he opened up about how many issues he had already, and how he was thinking of trading it in. Since that trip earlier this year, His 5.0 has started mysteriously eat coolant now, and occasionally throws codes and crazy amounts of dash lights, then clears itself with no actions taken. It's currently at Nissan, and he's been driving an Armada loaner for the past couple of weeks. He loves the truck but is about ready to take any offer on it from Nissan or another brand due to the issues and down time. He said that more than anything else, he's just lost trust in it. The real kicker for me was the lame mileage he said the cummins got. IIRC it was 1-2 better than my gas truck with the same trailer. The extra weight of the motor, causing less payload, sluggish 6 speed trans, egr / coolant DEF issues etc etc etc just makes the case for gas IMHO.

Now that they've decided to drop that engine for 2020, I guess you can only hope that they will keep trying to fix the engineering issues and apply them to existing diesels before the warranty is up. No disrespect meant to anyone with the 5.0, but can you blame me for having this opinion?

From everything I read before making my decision, the issues, the mileage, the dealers having no clue, I just can't understand choosing the cummins now. And for the record, i don't hate diesels (unless the owner roles coal.. F*** those guys). From the sounds of it, even my old 2007 ford 6.0 PSD had less trouble than many of these 5.0s. If anyone knows the early version of that motor, they had a laundry list of problems. Mine only ever had one head gasket issue fixed under warranty (determined to be stretched head bolts) I also own another ford still, a f250 with the 6.2. On paper it has much better payload and another 1000 lbs of towing ability, but tows no better than the XD, and is much less comfy. The only part that is better was almost no squat with the trailer attached, the tech is much better, and the pano roof is nice I guess.

i understand someone getting defensive about buying something like the XD Diesel, and having some guys come along saying there isn't much reason to choose the more expensive diesel version, but let's not call each other liars, deal?
I mean its just hard to believe is all. If it does.... sweet deal on your end, you have the one and only lol.

·
78 Posts
That’s cute. Enjoy your down time, mediocre performance, extra cost etc. Maybe if you put a giant “Cummins” decal on your hood it’ll make you feel better.

·
1,088 Posts
Down time? Havent had a issue yet... and know plenty more that havent. Sorry your one and only experience scared you off, but I come from a 5.6 titan and towing a 9k lb camper, never again. My diesel laughs at that weight and never sees over 2k rpms.

·
78 Posts
That’s hilarious troll. Sounds like you’re delusional. Hard to believe so many of you are so petty and small about this. I’m truly Sorry you bought such a poorly engineered drivetrain, but acting like someone should choose the diesel over the gas at this point is laughable. Nissan doesnt even believe in the diesel any longer. I feel bad for those who bought the 5.0 and didn’t know better, but anyone buying one knowing of all the well documented issues must be crazy. Recommending someone choose it is just plain mean.

·
324 Posts
I sometimes tow almost 13k with this cargo trailer and get around 10-11 in the flat areas. Normally I'm about 9k with two off road buggies and gear. I get around 12-13 with that weight. This pic is loaded to that amount, and i have the airbags at 40 lbs. The ONLY thing I didn't like about the Pro4x was the squat with around 1500 bumper tow weight. Airbags changed everything. View attachment 44197
what air bags did you go with? Thinking adding them on my 17 ProX. Not looking forward to moving the evap system around. Maybe the new gassers are different?

·
324 Posts
How slow are you going to get those mpg's lol cause your mileage is even 2-3 mpg better than our diesels and way higher than the other gassers
With lower cargo trailer it’s pretty easy to get those miles. I tow a dump trailer from time to time with 11-12k in the trailer and get 13. While I get 7-8 pulling my 10k 5er.

·
8 Posts
Interesting reading all these comments. I have a 2018 5.6 gassed and have hauled a tt weighing 8.000 lbs from Vermont to Southern Nevada-- 2700+miles. Crossed the Rockies near Denver without and hesitation. If you try to drive at conservative speeds, your MPG will always be better-- mine was at 10mpg going out. Some states and highways have speed limits of 75-80, and these speeds will cause your mpg top dive. Generally, I drive 5. mpg slower than the max allowed, and I let the speeders and truck pass in the left lane . The drive home was 3700 miles because I went south through Texas . This leg of the trip averaged 9 mpg. Generally very happy with this truck, which is mostly used to haul our camper. The truck is in storage for the winter with about 18000 miles on it.

·
78 Posts
Maybe my speedo is off? I'm strictly going by the computer avgs. I did check my speed on GPS a few times and it seemed accurate. The only thing I didn't do was hand calculate off of fuel receipts etc. I've changed over to 35 inch tires and am now about 11.5 avg without towing. Most likely will be brutal with a trailer now... uhg.

·
39 Posts
I pull a wash rig every day or about 90 percent of its miles. Ive got 50k miles. Its a 2017. Its between 3k and 7k depending on water level. I run 12 mpg average.

·
102 Posts
Interesting reading all these comments. I have a 2018 5.6 gassed and have hauled a tt weighing 8.000 lbs from Vermont to Southern Nevada-- 2700+miles. Crossed the Rockies near Denver without and hesitation. If you try to drive at conservative speeds, your MPG will always be better-- mine was at 10mpg going out. Some states and highways have speed limits of 75-80, and these speeds will cause your mpg top dive. Generally, I drive 5. mpg slower than the max allowed, and I let the speeders and truck pass in the left lane . The drive home was 3700 miles because I went south through Texas . This leg of the trip averaged 9 mpg. Generally very happy with this truck, which is mostly used to haul our camper. The truck is in storage for the winter with about 18000 miles on it.
Would you say it's possible to get 9-10 MPG towing a 7200 lb travel trailer? Would be in North Alabama going to the Smokey mountains and TN.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts