Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
102 Posts
Yea, my payload is too low. Other than that I've got 15 months of trouble free use...
No problems with mine at all- just question myself if I should have gotten a 3/4 ton instead. I'm getting 3/4 mileage, paid nearly the same but have a 1/2 ton transmission and engine. Really debating on trading in for a Ram 2500 but I will say the truck drives very nice.

·
13 Posts
Not an XD and not real heavy but I towed my Z from San Antonio to Branson, MO and back last summer which was a 1300 mile trip. Averaged 11.5MPG with the 5.6. Trailer was a little over 5K. Had a couple hundred extra in the bed. Considering I'm on 20s and 35" MTs I felt happy with those MPG.

·
1,088 Posts
No problems with mine at all- just question myself if I should have gotten a 3/4 ton instead. I'm getting 3/4 mileage, paid nearly the same but have a 1/2 ton transmission and engine. Really debating on trading in for a Ram 2500 but I will say the truck drives very nice.
So a motor putting out same power as mid 2000s 3/4 tons is now half ton power?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
So a motor putting out same power as mid 2000s 3/4 tons is now half ton power?
Exactly. My 2005 2500HD GMC had the 8.1L big block and my Titan XD has 60+ more horsepower.

·
102 Posts
I don't think power is my issue, granted the truck is a 3.31 rear axle ratio and most HD trucks are minimum 3.73 (obviously higher transmission gears allows lower axle ratios). My main concern with my truck is I thought the transmission was a HD transmission when it is not. It's a 1/2 ton transmission, while the diesel XD gets a 3/4-1 ton HD truck transmission. Also, all of the HD trucks have 8 lugs allowing more axle load. I hope the transmission will hold up and I bought the truck bc I had several buddies have an original Titan when 100K plus miles with very few issues. In hindsight my own opinion is just to buy a true 3/4 ton truck vs this beefed up 1/2 ton. Now if the price was drastically cheaper and MPG were much better I'd have a different opinion. I'm not trying to bash the truck and if I keep it hope it holds up.

·
13 Posts
I don't think power is my issue, granted the truck is a 3.31 rear axle ratio and most HD trucks are minimum 3.73 (obviously higher transmission gears allows lower axle ratios). My main concern with my truck is I thought the transmission was a HD transmission when it is not. It's a 1/2 ton transmission, while the diesel XD gets a 3/4-1 ton HD truck transmission. Also, all of the HD trucks have 8 lugs allowing more axle load. I hope the transmission will hold up and I bought the truck bc I had several buddies have an original Titan when 100K plus miles with very few issues. In hindsight my own opinion is just to buy a true 3/4 ton truck vs this beefed up 1/2 ton. Now if the price was drastically cheaper and MPG were much better I'd have a different opinion. I'm not trying to bash the truck and if I keep it hope it holds up.
What are your trans temps when towing? How often is it overheating?

You do know the HD2500 Silverado could come with the 4L60E which is a half ton trans, right? I wouldn't get hung up on what the trans comes in so much as the actual load ratings its tested and proven for. Plenty of engines and gear boxes have been used in applications where they weren't adequate. Nissan typically over engineers their components to exceed their expected or rated performance.

·
7 Posts
I have a 2018 XD SL gasser and just bought a 30' travel trailer @6k dry weight. I towed it from Tuscon back to North Phoenix area ..mostly flat but was stop and go on the I-10 for long stretches.. maintained 65 mph when it wasn't. I avg 10.2 mph according to the computer. I normally get 16-17 mph with mixed city/hwy. I'm a first time RV owner and haven't towed much but while I knew the rig was back there I thought the XD ran real smooth at 65mph.
IMG_4902.jpg

·
101 Posts
I have also thought I should have bought a 3/4 ton, but only for down the road if I upgrade to a 5th wheel. But on the cost factor, my XD was $ 7500 less than the 2018 Ford F-250 XLT gasser I test drove, and both were optioned out the same. I'm really happy, no trans problems what so-ever - I watched the temp gauge on my trip to SD last summer and it only moved 1 bar, with my 20K toy hauler and that was on Black MNT in NC.

·
1,088 Posts
I have also thought I should have bought a 3/4 ton, but only for down the road if I upgrade to a 5th wheel. But on the cost factor, my XD was $ 7500 less than the 2018 Ford F-250 XLT gasser I test drove, and both were optioned out the same. I'm really happy, no trans problems what so-ever - I watched the temp gauge on my trip to SD last summer and it only moved 1 bar, with my 20K toy hauler and that was on Black MNT in NC.
Be thankful you didnt get the f250. I drive one with a 6.2 everyday at work. It's a complete turd.

·
179 Posts
I have a 2018 XD SL gasser and just bought a 30' travel trailer @6k dry weight. I towed it from Tuscon back to North Phoenix area ..mostly flat but was stop and go on the I-10 for long stretches.. maintained 65 mph when it wasn't. I avg 10.2 mph according to the computer. I normally get 16-17 mph with mixed city/hwy. I'm a first time RV owner and haven't towed much but while I knew the rig was back there I thought the XD ran real smooth at 65mph. View attachment 44593
16-17 mixed? My truck now has 11k on it and the mixed is 12.4 over that time.

·
101 Posts
I guess I should read what I type better -- my toy hauler is 10K, SORRY - I'm confident with my XD, but would not even think of 20k

·
7 Posts
Yeah I think hes exaggerating too lol. That kinda mileage just isnt possible with the 5.6, it just doesnt get good mpgs.
I reset the trip computer after towing the trailer back and it hasn't budged off 16.2 with mixed use. Maybe the computer is exaggerating... I haven't done the math at the pump so the computer is all i got.

·
1,088 Posts
I reset the trip computer after towing the trailer back and it hasn't budged off 16.2 with mixed use. Maybe the computer is exaggerating... I haven't done the math at the pump so the computer is all i got.
Haha yeah those arent even close. Mine says 19 city but I'm getting 16

41 - 60 of 60 Posts