Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '17 XD PR gasser and can't ever seem to better than 12.7 mpg unloaded. We bought this truck to tow an 8000 lb travel trailer. Haven't done much trailer towing yet, but I've only seen like 6 mpg on the short hauls we've made with it so far.:surprise: Is this the best I can expect from this truck? We're planning a long distance tow and with a 26 gallon tank at 6 mpg we'll need to stop for gas every 150 miles. WTF? My '05 Chevy Suburban gasser with the 5.3 was getting 18 unloaded and 9-10 when towing and had a 31 gallon tank.

·
616 Posts
Yep, that sounds about right from what I've read on here. That was the major driver behind getting the diesel instead of the gasser for me..

·
185 Posts
hey there. i think if you really baby it (by that I mean staying at/below 65 mph and accelerating gently from stops, you'll be able to get 9 mpg with the 8k trailer on. I used to get that with my 2500HD chevy gasser as long as i was gentle on the go pedal.

my XD is a Cummins, so apples to oranges, but yesterday I did a 145 mile tow with my enclosed race trailer and picked up a car at Port of Baltimore (a Lancia Fulvia 1.3 Rallye!). mixed highway driving (around 70 mph) with rolling hills with some city and country roads; got 12.4 mpg. on my longer hauls last year (400 miles at a stretch) I was seeing about 310 to 320 miles on a tank of diesel in between stops. mine is bone stock; trailer is a Pace enclosed race trailer weighing in around 8500 or a tad more depending on spares and extra wheels.

·
116 Posts
XD gas SV 4x4 King Cab... mine getting almost 21 hwy at 55-60, 19 going 65 and 18 @70mph. Better that my '12 P4X KC. also 11-12 city and 10-11 towing Hwy at 60 mph and around 8 mpg into the mountains, so far, and I don't drive slow in the Sierras towing our 7100lb loaded toy hauler. Ask anyone with a gasser and a decent sized trailer, and they will give you about the same numbers towing. Six mpg towing is not normal.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XD gas SV 4x4 King Cab... mine getting almost 21 hwy at 55-60, 19 going 65 and 18 @70mph. Better that my '12 P4X KC. also 11-12 city and 10-11 towing Hwy at 60 mph and around 8 mpg into the mountains, so far, and I don't drive slow in the Sierras towing our 7100lb loaded toy hauler. Ask anyone with a gasser and a decent sized trailer, and they will give you about the same numbers towing. Six mpg towing is not normal.
What grade gas are you using? I've never seen better than 16 MPG even in flat South Jersey keeping it under 65. I was expecting to see numbers like yours and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

·
324 Posts
This is after a 30 mile all city traffic driving today. The 16.7 best was a brief 2 mile stretch of 70mph headed to work this morning. This is normal driving, not hot rodding or dragging my feet. This gas engine does far better than either of my previous gen 1 Titans.

Attachments

·
116 Posts
What grade gas are you using? I've never seen better than 16 MPG even in flat South Jersey keeping it under 65. I was expecting to see numbers like yours and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement.
I use Premium fuel if I'm going to tow the toy hauler, otherwise reg or mid. Tires are set to 70 front and 75 rear. Truck has the Magnaflow dual exhaust and a K&N drop-in filter (I know, bfd)... may make a slight improvement. I have a low profile lumber rack on the truck, though. That usually drops hwy mileage a bit. If I'm driving in a 10-15 mph headwind, hwy mileage drops to 15.5 at 70 mph. As ^^^^ posted, this truck does a bit better than my gen 1 Titan did ('12 P4X KC). Doesn't have the hwy mileage of a friends F150 supercrew FX4,10 speed 3.5 ecoboost. Towing mileage is fairly close, though.

·
712 Posts
hey there. i think if you really baby it (by that I mean staying at/below 65 mph and accelerating gently from stops, you'll be able to get 9 mpg with the 8k trailer on. I used to get that with my 2500HD chevy gasser as long as i was gentle on the go pedal.

my XD is a Cummins, so apples to oranges, but yesterday I did a 145 mile tow with my enclosed race trailer and picked up a car at Port of Baltimore (a Lancia Fulvia 1.3 Rallye!). mixed highway driving (around 70 mph) with rolling hills with some city and country roads; got 12.4 mpg. on my longer hauls last year (400 miles at a stretch) I was seeing about 310 to 320 miles on a tank of diesel in between stops. mine is bone stock; trailer is a Pace enclosed race trailer weighing in around 8500 or a tad more depending on spares and extra wheels.

We're gonna need some pictures of that car.

·
1,979 Posts
I use Premium fuel if I'm going to tow the toy hauler, otherwise reg or mid. Tires are set to 70 front and 75 rear. Truck has the Magnaflow dual exhaust and a K&N drop-in filter (I know, bfd)... may make a slight improvement. I have a low profile lumber rack on the truck, though. That usually drops hwy mileage a bit. If I'm driving in a 10-15 mph headwind, hwy mileage drops to 15.5 at 70 mph. As ^^^^ posted, this truck does a bit better than my gen 1 Titan did ('12 P4X KC). Doesn't have the hwy mileage of a friends F150 supercrew FX4,10 speed 3.5 ecoboost. Towing mileage is fairly close, though.
You're just burning extra money putting Premium in it, the computer is not calibrated to use that octane & it can't utilize it. JS

·
116 Posts
You're just burning extra money putting Premium in it, the computer is not calibrated to use that octane & it can't utilize it. JS
"Calibrated" for a minimum 87 octane... can utilize higher.

·
34 Posts
I've got a '17 XD PR gasser and can't ever seem to better than 12.7 mpg unloaded. We bought this truck to tow an 8000 lb travel trailer. Haven't done much trailer towing yet, but I've only seen like 6 mpg on the short hauls we've made with it so far.:surprise: Is this the best I can expect from this truck? We're planning a long distance tow and with a 26 gallon tank at 6 mpg we'll need to stop for gas every 150 miles. WTF? My '05 Chevy Suburban gasser with the 5.3 was getting 18 unloaded and 9-10 when towing and had a 31 gallon tank.
How fast were you driving? It seems to me increasing wind resistance with speed kills the MPG in areas without too many steep hills more than weight.
The best MPG trip average I have seen unloaded with my 5.6 gas 4x4 is 17.3.
I tow a 9200 pound travel trailer and in hilly southwest Missouri its high 8's low 9's. Across long flat Illinois its generally in the 10's. We had a strong tail wind once and that tank was 12. I do stick to 65mph towing though. The little gas tank does kind of suck, but we typically need to get out and stretch, walk the dogs and have a snack about the time the truck needs fuel anyway.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How fast were you driving? It seems to me increasing wind resistance with speed kills the MPG in areas without too many steep hills more than weight.
The best MPG trip average I have seen unloaded with my 5.6 gas 4x4 is 17.3.
I tow a 9200 pound travel trailer and in hilly southwest Missouri its high 8's low 9's. Across long flat Illinois its generally in the 10's. We had a strong tail wind once and that tank was 12. I do stick to 65mph towing though. The little gas tank does kind of suck, but we typically need to get out and stretch, walk the dogs and have a snack about the time the truck needs fuel anyway.
We're in flat-land South Jersey near Atlantic City. I try to keep it under 70 unloaded and close to posted speed limits when towing, which in this area is often 50 and never over 65. Have noticed a big MPG difference on the trip computer between 55 and 70. We've got a trip to Virginia with the trailer planned shortly after Easter, so hopefully we'll see similar numbers as you. I'd be fine getting 8-9 towing 8000 lbs. and frankly, I'd be thrilled if we see 10's until we hit the mountains. Will update this post after then.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, just got back from the 500+ mile round trip from Atlantic City, NJ to Luray, VA towing our 8000 lb Grand Design Imagine 2670MK trailer. We saw 7.2 MPG on the way out and 7.9 MPG on the way back. The trip computer matched the old-school fill up and odometer method. Temperature may have been a factor as it was low 30's on the way out and high 60's on the way back. Once we got back to Atlantic City on a nice warm spring day and unhitched, the unloaded mileage was a little better than usual.

·
460 Posts
I tow our 24ft toy hauler which is about 8500-9000 lbs loaded with my Cummins XD. I usually get about 10-12 on flat towing at about 65-70. When I go 75-80 (yes, the truck tows fine at that speed), I get about 9 mpg. I have 34" Nitto Ridge grapplers with a 2" level kit (tires are heavier than stock).

7.2-7.9 mpg isn't all that bad to be honest for a gasser. My question is - what speed was that towing at and what tires are you running? 7-8 mpg towing an 8000 lbs trailer with a gasser is pretty normal from my experience.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm running the stock LT265/60R20 E tires at 70 psi and we were doing 60-65 most of the way on the interstates and about 50-55 for 30 miles of state highway. The original short haul 6 MPG concerned me with the smallish gas tank. I was hoping to see a little better than 8 on a longer haul, but I can live with around 7.5 and now I know for sure we'll need to stop every 2 and a half hours for gas, which isn't so bad when traveling with the dog.

·
116 Posts
We've recently done another trip and got 11.9 MPG (comp) towing our mostly empty (about 6000 lb) Toy Hauler on flat highway, no wind, going 55-60 MPH. Getting close to 4000 mi on the truck and breaking in just a bit.

·
48 Posts
I have put a couple thousand miles on my new XD gasser in the past two weeks and have towed 90% of the time. My trailer is only around 5k half loaded. I have managed 12-15 depending on how many miles were driven without the trailer. While cruising the highway at 65 with no trailer, I've gotten 17.7, but as soon as I hook up, its back to 12. What I have noticed with this truck is that it doesn't like to be driven like a prius. We had one of those. They like a slow takeoff and slow increase in speed. The titan does much better if I get up to speed quickly and coast around maintaining speed. I have a 2wd with the stock steel 17" wheels. Not sure how much that helps. I'd be sick getting the fuel mileage you are reporting. :crying2:

·
291 Posts
Last Summer during some testing I towed the same trailer with a gas xd, and then my normal diesel xd on the same day for a round ring of 100 miles roughly. That was to and from the same location, twice, once with each truck.

First off, speed kills mpg. 50-55 mph (or less if you can) when towing if you want any sort of mileage. Quite often I'll take backroads where the limit is 45. Less traffic, better mpg, and more scenic. Remember its not always about the destination.

Towing an 8k mini fifth wheel camper.

Doing the same speed, with the same trailer, on average, the diesel managed maybe 2 mpg better, right around 11-12.

Gas job did 9-10.

What I did notice, is that the gas job had way more 'get up and go' than the diesel. Diesel pulled out of the hole strong, but falls flat on its face soon after until it feels like shifting, shifts, lugs away, shifts. On ramps are not fun, and forget about passing anything.

However with the gas job, if you wanted to get up and go, ie merge from an onramp, the gas job has way more top end to get you there and only pulls harder as the rpm's climb.

From somebody who made the mistake, keep what you got. The diesel is a waste in this truck. imho.

·
173 Posts
I have put a couple thousand miles on my new XD gasser in the past two weeks and have towed 90% of the time. My trailer is only around 5k half loaded. I have managed 12-15 depending on how many miles were driven without the trailer. While cruising the highway at 65 with no trailer, I've gotten 17.7, but as soon as I hook up, its back to 12. What I have noticed with this truck is that it doesn't like to be driven like a prius. We had one of those. They like a slow takeoff and slow increase in speed. The titan does much better if I get up to speed quickly and coast around maintaining speed. I have a 2wd with the stock steel 17" wheels. Not sure how much that helps. I'd be sick getting the fuel mileage you are reporting. :crying2:
I agree with your statement about how the truck likes to be driven. Get up to speed quick and let her cruise. I recently put 33" ko2s on my truck and my mpg went to $h!t. 6-6.5mpg towing in the hill country where gas stations are few and far between. I LOVE the truck but can't accept that mileage. Could have went back to stock size but ...I may have purchased a 2018 powerstroke today....fx4 lariat... The XD was an awesome truck but I missed the deisel and mainly...needed more range (plus, a particular dealer in SA is ready to sell some 250s). I knew what I was getting into when i purchased the gas xd and it exceeded all expectations (except for one... in the hill country). The XD was one of the best trucks I've owned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts