Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running the Titan XD for a few months now I feel this is one of the most expensive trucks to operate that I've owned. Mileage isn't anywhere as good as the old 5.9 litre cummins engines. DEF isn't cheap. Most importantly is the maintenance schedule prescribed by Nissan/Cummins. The second service requires dual fuel filter changes along with an oil change. At the dealership the filter change costs are $550 plus $185 (Canadian) for engine oil change. In no way is this competitive with other manufacturers. I'll go with a more capable machine such as a dodge 3/4 ton with lower maintenance costs next time or back to a tundra.

·
124 Posts
Im not sure I agree with your observation.

First, Im averaging 16.5 mpg in the city and 19.9 on the highway. This is confirmed by hand calculations. I live in a hilly area so those in flatter areas should likely see better.

As far as maintenance, the 6.7L Cummins in the Ram also recommends fuel filters to be replaced during the oil change. The Ram utilizes 3 fuel filters so the cost is even higher.

Im not sure where you purchasing your DEF, but most guys I know are getting it off Amazon. 5 gallons cost $52 with the average refill every 3500 miles or so. At that cost, DEF is running at just about 1 penny per mile.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redtitan29 what are the costs and frequency required for replacing filters in the dodge? I'm thinking it's not as excessive although I am not in the know.
With the Titan XD ratings being more comparable to a half ton in regards to motor horsepower and torque, one would be better off buying a gas job over the 5 litre Cummins. Less up front cost not paying for the diesel and lower maintenance costs. If you are pushing the limits of the half ton, spend the same amount of money and buy a 3/4 ton with capabilities far exceeding the Titan XD. Just my thoughts.
A tweener pickup is a nice idea but all Nissan did was build a truck with a 3/4 ton price tag (purchase and operational costs) and less capability. They missed the mark.

·
167 Posts
Unfortunately all deisel have DEF systems and all deisels run high pressure injection systems so they will all have similar fuel filter costs. Oil changes are 10 to 16 thousand miles between so oil chsnges aren't really more expensive. Remember the 3000 mile oil change requirements in some gas versions. However all being said deisel parts and service are typically more expensive than gas. Nothing new. Deisel engines tend to outlive gas engines under load. So for many people the risks vs reward are still worth the deisel.

·
917 Posts
After running the Titan XD for a few months now I feel this is one of the most expensive trucks to operate that I've owned. Mileage isn't anywhere as good as the old 5.9 litre cummins engines. DEF isn't cheap. Most importantly is the maintenance schedule prescribed by Nissan/Cummins. The second service requires dual fuel filter changes along with an oil change. At the dealership the filter change costs are $550 plus $185 (Canadian) for engine oil change. In no way is this competitive with other manufacturers. I'll go with a more capable machine such as a dodge 3/4 ton with lower maintenance costs next time or back to a tundra.
I'm not sure where in Canada you are but retail on the two fuel filters in Ontario is around $200.00 (last time checked was 6 weeks ago). We charge 1 hour labour for replacement of both filters. I believe the oil change is under $150.00 taxes in.

·
42 Posts
Can you break down the costs and mileage?

This seems a little high. Was it fuel filters, oil change and transmission fluid change?

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$550 is the cost for fuel filter change (1.5 hrs labor for first filter, 1 hour labor for second). $185 for engine oil change (full synthetic). I'm in the Okanagan, BC.

·
124 Posts
Redtitan29 what are the costs and frequency required for replacing filters in the dodge? I'm thinking it's not as excessive although I am not in the know.
With the Titan XD ratings being more comparable to a half ton in regards to motor horsepower and torque, one would be better off buying a gas job over the 5 litre Cummins. Less up front cost not paying for the diesel and lower maintenance costs. If you are pushing the limits of the half ton, spend the same amount of money and buy a 3/4 ton with capabilities far exceeding the Titan XD. Just my thoughts.
A tweener pickup is a nice idea but all Nissan did was build a truck with a 3/4 ton price tag (purchase and operational costs) and less capability. They missed the mark.
Maintenance on the 6.7L is so similar to the 5.0L that its basically a mute point. My son in-law owns a 2015 Ram 2500 6.7L so I was able to gauge his experience before moving forward in purchasing the XD. Cummins added the third filter on the 6.7L in 2015.

Based on your comments, it sounds like your comparing the cost you were accustomed to on your Tundra to the XD. The added cost your experiencing is the reality of diesel ownership today, regardless the manufacturer.

The 5.0L is no toy and simply cant be compared to any gas engine in a 1/2 ton truck. It sounds like you dont actually need the added capability of the XD/5.0L. Cost should not be the primary factor in your purchase decision of buying a new truck. When stepping into a class over a traditional 1/2 ton, its assumed you have a task in mind with a need for a heavier tool to do the job. Whether that be diesel or gas in an XD, full 3/4 or 1 ton, your particular needs will determine the choice.

Here is another way of looking at it:

Lets say you have 20 ton of gravel that you need to move.

XD Gas Payload: 2500lbs
XD Diesel Payload: 1700lbs

Moving the gravel with the gas engine would take 20 loads
Moving the gravel with the diesel would take 24 loads

In this scenario, the gas is the clear choice as the primary job is to move the most the fastest. Time = Money

Now, lets say you have a dump trailer that you will be hauling the gravel in that weighs 2500lbs for ease of conversation. We'll use max tow ratings:

XD Gas tow rating 11,270 - 2500lb = 8,770lb
XD Diesel tow rating 12,314 - 2500 = 9,814lb

Loads with the gas = 5
Loads with the diesel = 4

A diesel in inherently more efficient under load so you would pull more and expect much better fuel milage while being worked.

·
4 Posts

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, I should have stated "diesel" in the thread heading.
I believe the gas version is competitive.
Ultimately for the diesel I believe the cons for a 3/4 ton are still part of the XD diesel package while only having similar benefits to the 1/2 ton comparisons.

·
88 Posts
Im not sure where you purchasing your DEF, but most guys I know are getting it off Amazon. 5 gallons cost $52 with the average refill every 3500 miles or so. At that cost, DEF is running at just about 1 penny per mile.
That's still a ridiculous price. I'm in Louisiana right now and Wal-Mart has 2.5 gallon jugs for $7.88. Even before I saw that, I was getting 2.5 gallon boxes for $12.

·
48 Posts
That's still a ridiculous price. I'm in Louisiana right now and Wal-Mart has 2.5 gallon jugs for $7.88. Even before I saw that, I was getting 2.5 gallon boxes for $12.
I believe there are truck stops that sell it at the pump, 2.69 per gallon is the last price I heard.

·
88 Posts
I tried that once. I was going cross country and needed some fuel and the regular pumps were out so they said I could use the truck pumps. I also needed Def and was going to buy some and they said it's cheaper at the pump. So I get out there, and you can't use the truck pumps because the nozzle is about an inch diameter, which also dispenses the def. I guess if you take your own jug out there you could fill it, but I'm not sure what you can legally put it in because you are still technically using a diesel pump, and there will be some diesel residue in it.

·
38 Posts
I don't how your dealerships work in Canada but down here in Texas when I purchased my XD I was able to also purchase a service contract which pays for my oil changes every 10,000 miles for the first 100,000 miles the cost of this package was included with the Nissan extended warranty. So yes I will have to pay for my fuel filters but overall the cost is every 10,000 not every 3,000 as that has to be done on gas. This is my 3rd Titan I've have had 2004 for 2 yrs then a 2006 for 10 years and this is most likely to be my last Titan since I will be retiring in about 14 months. With that said the cost to maintain my XD doesn't bother me at all it is all about the way you look at it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts