Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone's thoughts on the new power output of the ecoboost for 2017. I have been on the new truck search for a few months now and it is narrowed to a 5.0 xd or the 2017 3.5 ecoboost. Just not sure I want a diesel with maintenance and added costs.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
What's everyone's thoughts on the new power output of the ecoboost for 2017. I have been on the new truck search for a few months now and it is narrowed to a 5.0 xd or the 2017 3.5 ecoboost. Just not sure I want a diesel with maintenance and added costs.
You are comparing a hvy tank to a light sports car.

What are you using it for?

I have owned the new 2.7 ford and since January have owned an xd.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I do is tow a 12x7 cargo trailer roughly 4000lbs loaded atleast 3-5 days per week within 20 miles of my area. Also about to buy a 30' camper roughly 8000 lbs plus gear for a couple weekends a year. I have family with the HD f150 3.5 and I was impressed not so much by the mileage though. I drove the xd a few times and while it seems like a nice truck I haven't negotiated a great deal fords 10k + off is definitely something to consider.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
What I do is tow a 12x7 cargo trailer roughly 4000lbs loaded atleast 3-5 days per week within 20 miles of my area. Also about to buy a 30' camper roughly 8000 lbs plus gear for a couple weekends a year. I have family with the HD f150 3.5 and I was impressed not so much by the mileage though. I drove the xd a few times and while it seems like a nice truck I haven't negotiated a great deal fords 10k + off is definitely something to consider.
If you go with the camper I definitely recommend the xd.

I had my late build 2015 f150 less then 6 mths too much rattling and aluminum expansion and contracting for my liking. And the lightness is no benefit for stability when towing a trailer the size you are looking at. That's where the xd shines. Mpg empty will be comparable for both, although my xd is slightly better then my 2.7. Towing mpg the xd will really shine when compared to ecoboost.

But with that said. The xd is still like a tank and the F150 a sports car.

·
1,979 Posts
Get the gasser XD, it's pulling the same/better numbers than the Diesel. Fuel mileage will be a bit less but they cost less up front & they are cheaper to maintain.

·
56 Posts
I've owned a lot of trucks both diesel and gas. Here is what I've learned over the years....

When towing....

Diesel > NA Gas > Boosted Gas as far as MPG is concerned

If you're really towing 4k 3-5 times per week, maybe a boosted motor is not a good choice. It will pull great but will consume a lot of gas doing it. If you start your motor in the morning and leave it running all day, then diesel for sure. If you start and stop a lot, NA (naturally aspirated) gas is a good choice.

I've had good luck with Fords and currently own a 6.2L F150 truck. I've been looking at the Nissan but the XD just doesn't suit my needs. Not enough info on non-XD titan but I'm still here trying to learn more as it becomes available.

I really like the new 3.5L eco based on what's published (port and direct injection, twin timing chains, 375HP & 470TQ, 10speed) and you can get it in a 5500lb truck. The tundra 5.7L with 4:30 gears could be the ticket since your towing moderate loads everyday, the empty MPG won't matter much. The Nissan non-XD could be a good choice as well.

These are exciting times in the truck market.

·
92 Posts
Try pulling your trailer with the Ford before you buy it. I have a friend that is having to get rid of his 2016 eco-boost because the front end is scary light when pulling his 20' boat. Not a good thing at all.

·
80 Posts
hard to compare these 2, they are completely different classes of truck. xd is a 3/4 ton and should be compared with the f-250 and the ram\gm 2500. the f-150 should be compared with the regular titan

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
hard to compare these 2, they are completely different classes of truck. xd is a 3/4 ton and should be compared with the f-250 and the ram\gm 2500. the f-150 should be compared with the regular titan
Unless you are talking the HD f150's then that's exactly what the titan xd was meant for.

·
80 Posts
Unless you are talking the HD f150's then that's exactly what the titan xd was meant for.
no such thing as a HD f150. the entire f150 lineup is a class 1 truck. if you want a HD ford you gotta step up to the super duty.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
no such thing as a HD f150. the entire f150 lineup is a class 1 truck. if you want a HD ford you gotta step up to the super duty.
Really I thought the F150 with the hd payload package.
Had a different frame
Different axle
Compared to the regular f150.
Just like the xd has different frame and axles compared to the regular titan?
The main difference the xd's extra weight over the F150 which pushes it GVWR into a different class.

·
1,979 Posts
It's still a class 1 truck regardless if it has the Payload package. The frame is the Same. The only difference between a F250 & F350 is the rear spring pack. Ram & Chevys are the same way.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
It's still a class 1 truck regardless if it has the Payload package. The frame is the Same.
Are you sure about the frame?
That's why they were almost a year late in delivering because of the different frame.
I tried ordering one.

·
1,979 Posts
Are you sure about the frame?
That's why they were almost a year late in delivering because of the different frame.
I tried ordering one.
I could be wrong, I don't they didn't ever do a long run every year.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I could be wrong, I don't they didn't ever do a long run every year.
I remember the order guide when I ordered my regular f150. Salesman told me the hd payload was a bit of a unicorn. But it was worded a thicker frame for the payload trucks. And gave the thickness of three available frames. My 2.7 having the thinnest.
Of couse the payload package was limited to comfort options available, rims etc.. plus it had different axles, suspension etc...
Most 2015 people who ordered the package got there ordered cancelled or transfer to a 2016 which still ended up being very late.

·
705 Posts
There are a few gasser fans on here, but I question whether they really tow anything of size. Either that, or they just like the scream of a gasser as its going up hills, etc. I tow a 30+' TT and it wasn't until I went with diesel power that I enjoyed it. I'm in TX so no mountainous terrain really, but we still get some low grade hills that any gasser I ever owned just had to downshift a couple gears and really get that engine screaming to hold 65-70 mph.

As for the half ton, in any kind of decent cross wind its going to get pushed pretty good towing a 30' TT. Will it handle it, yes, but its no fun. The XD will tow more like a 3/4 with cross winds, etc given its size and weight.

Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
There are a few gasser fans on here, but I question whether they really tow anything of size. Either that, or they just like the scream of a gasser as its going up hills, etc. I tow a 30+' TT and it wasn't until I went with diesel power that I enjoyed it. I'm in TX so no mountainous terrain really, but we still get some low grade hills that any gasser I ever owned just had to downshift a couple gears and really get that engine screaming to hold 65-70 mph.

As for the half ton, in any kind of decent cross wind its going to get pushed pretty good towing a 30' TT. Will it handle it, yes, but its no fun. The XD will tow more like a 3/4 with cross winds, etc given its size and weight.

Just my two cents.
A true 3/4+ is over kill for my needs. So I have always had 1/2 tons, but owning 30'+ travel trailers weight wise they are fine. But as you stated throw in a cross wind and it gets you wishing maybe I need a 3/4. But the XD fits the need perfect.

·
80 Posts
Really I thought the F150 with the hd payload package.
Had a different frame
Different axle
Compared to the regular f150.
Just like the xd has different frame and axles compared to the regular titan?
The main difference the xd's extra weight over the F150 which pushes it GVWR into a different class.
I have to correct myself, i meant to say class 2a. the f150,ram1500,tundra,gm1500 twins are class 2a while the XD,f250,and2500 ram.gm are class 2b based on their weight. as for the ford they all share a common frame and are not HD in anyway. if you need the HD you will have to step up to the 250 or 350's

·
570 Posts
Yep, the biggest problem with the Heavy Duty F-150 is availability. I was browsing Auto trader for the older 8200 GVWR trucks between 2011 and 2014, and it seems there are less of those than their are Titan XDs out there! Those that do have them say they are a beast at towing, though. They did make a newer 7850 GVWR Heavy Duty F-150 based on the Aluminium trucks, but they are probably even harder to find and not as stable as the older steel versions. In both cases, the 3.5tt is the best way to go for easier towing. They do not "scream up the mountains" as a previous user posted.

·
570 Posts
Well, in any case, the thread is becoming redundant with talk of the F-150 HD: http://www.titanxdforum.com/forum/362-titan-xd-versus-competition/6921-titan-xd-vs-f-150-heavy-duty.html

My thinking is that the F-150 HD will die off soon anyway. It has always been close in price with the F-250, but now has lost most of it's advantages. The new Super Duty is a much better ride than the old (which is why most got the F-150 HD in the first place), fuel tank size has increase on the F-250, the F-250 interior is now much better, and then "gen 2" 6.2L has much more low end torque and closer now to the 3.5tt powerband. Lastly, fuel economy should be much closer to the F-150 HD, especially when towing, since the new F-250 is lighter and gets the sleeker 6R100 transmission.

Obviously, most of this only applies to the gas version.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts