Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post...in the market for a new truck and a now a member on this forum, the Cummins forum, and the ecoboost forum.
Any real world experience with both trucks? I've been looking into upgrading out of my f150. Not because I need more payload, more just because I'm board with my current truck and want something new. I only tow a few times a year and never more than 8-9k, so a 6.7 ram isn't anything that I'd want to spend the extra $8k on. I know the mpg difference is considerable, 15 mpg vs 20 mpg, so that's a notch toward the xd. Looking at Ike gauntlet towing.....xd took 10k in 8:45, 2500 pw with 6.4 takes 9k in 8 flat....both trucks seem to handle it well, so I'd call that about even. Then there is price to consider.....both packages I like on each truck msrp for around $55000, but with advertised incintives the ram is realistically a $45k truck....ram wins in that factor. BUT, the xd has the cool factor being brand new(not in every other driveway on my street) and having the cummins.
For the xd owners, are the dealers willing to deal any yet on these truck?

·
43 Posts
Depends on your dealer. I'm getting my Platinum Reserve at invoice $57k range. I am like you, I'm in a 2015 F150 ecoboost. It tows anything I ever tow but sucks the gas doing it. I did have a 2014 Ram that was way too uncomfortable to ride in for any long distance. The Ram also has notorious issues with rattles. While it's true you can get a Ram for less money it is also true that the residual value will stay higher with the Nissan as they won't be in every driveway across America. Something to be said about having something unique. I did my homework and comparing the big 3 companies I calculated the best deal is the Nissan. Yes, it is more expensive at first but trading trucks every year like I do the Nissan will hold the value better than the big 3.
Good luck on what you decide.

·
1,300 Posts
What he said^^^ the XD will have a better resale hands down and it is a better built truck. I love mine I've only seen one other truck on the road, it's nice to be not like everyone else.

·
27 Posts
Where I bought my platinum reserve they discounted the truck to 55,400 and gave me a fair trade in value. The more I drive the XD the more I like it. Tows great like no gasser I have ever had could. Very stable on the road. Ride is smooth. If you like the look and the feel then get in there and negotiate a deal.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I know up here in ontario alot of the good nissan truck dealers, are over inflating trade-in values to hold the xd close to msrp. So if you haven't talked numbers yet with a nissan dealer might be a good idea as final price might be better then thought. Make sure the dealer has a few xd's not just one.

·
658 Posts
What he said^^^ the XD will have a better resale hands down and it is a better built truck. I love mine I've only seen one other truck on the road, it's nice to be not like everyone else.
I'm not arguing that this wont be the case, but my personal experience says it may be otherwise. When selling my first gen '09 Titan last year, the KBB private party value was $6,000 less than a similarly equipped F150. I sold that truck (with only 45k miles) for about $20,000. That means the Ford was worth over 25% MORE than the Titan. That really wasn't a big deal to me because I bought the Titan cheaper than I could have bought the Ford.

I'm just not sure why people think a Titan will hold its value better than a truck from the big 3. One of my biggest problems when selling my Titan was getting people to look at it. Most people wanted a truck from the big 3 and were really only looking at my truck because it was priced significantly lower than other trucks and that was with the lower mileage! Demand will have a lot to do with residual value too. So far demand on the Titan hasn't been very high....

·
36 Posts
First post...in the market for a new truck and a now a member on this forum, the Cummins forum, and the ecoboost forum.
Any real world experience with both trucks? I've been looking into upgrading out of my f150. Not because I need more payload, more just because I'm board with my current truck and want something new. I only tow a few times a year and never more than 8-9k, so a 6.7 ram isn't anything that I'd want to spend the extra $8k on. I know the mpg difference is considerable, 15 mpg vs 20 mpg, so that's a notch toward the xd. Looking at Ike gauntlet towing.....xd took 10k in 8:45, 2500 pw with 6.4 takes 9k in 8 flat....both trucks seem to handle it well, so I'd call that about even. Then there is price to consider.....both packages I like on each truck msrp for around $55000, but with advertised incintives the ram is realistically a $45k truck....ram wins in that factor. BUT, the xd has the cool factor being brand new(not in every other driveway on my street) and having the cummins.
For the xd owners, are the dealers willing to deal any yet on these truck?
Interesting that you think the xd is an upgrade from an f-150. A lot of guys seem to think those are just as capable as the xd (it's not).

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tend to agree with digitalblis on resale values.....demand drives price. I think I'll probably just hold off for another 6-8 months, let everyone get some mileage on the xd's, see what the new Titan gas does in the market, then make my decision. I typically tend to wait until the next model years come out to buy anyways(make me deal on that 16 so you've got more room for the 17's). Plus, if the xd doesn't end up selling as well as Nissan hopes I'm sure dealers will be more willing to deal. Ford was that way when the aluminum 15's first came out.....very little discounts until all of their 14's were gone.

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have towed up to about 9k with my 2014 f150 ecoboost. There is plenty of motor left and pulling power. I can cruise 75 down the highway without a struggle from the motor. But the truck struggles. Which is understandable when your trailer weighs almost 2x as much as the truck. On windy days the trailer walks the truck all around, bumps and dips in the road give you a nice wave pool effect.
From what I've read about the xd, it would be an upgrade in towing stability and comfort. Maybe not in towing speed and acceleration, but I'm not interested in drag racing anyone. I want a truck that handles its load better, and that doesn't require white knuckle driving on the highway.

·
72 Posts
You sound like a perfect fit for the XD. Fords aluminum attempts at making a truck lighter simply to push tow numbers up, for me is a joke.
A 'lighter truck' does NOT equate to a better towing experience.
At this point to me the f150 is still in 'car' status, while the XD has actually achieved 'truck' status in my thinking. Having the power to tow up a hill is like 1/10 of the equation.

·
363 Posts
I'm not arguing that this wont be the case, but my personal experience says it may be otherwise. When selling my first gen '09 Titan last year, the KBB private party value was $6,000 less than a similarly equipped F150. I sold that truck (with only 45k miles) for about $20,000. That means the Ford was worth over 25% MORE than the Titan. That really wasn't a big deal to me because I bought the Titan cheaper than I could have bought the Ford.

I'm just not sure why people think a Titan will hold its value better than a truck from the big 3. One of my biggest problems when selling my Titan was getting people to look at it. Most people wanted a truck from the big 3 and were really only looking at my truck because it was priced significantly lower than other trucks and that was with the lower mileage! Demand will have a lot to do with residual value too. So far demand on the Titan hasn't been very high....
Good points. I agree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts