48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most tuners offer the following:
  • 25hp Tow
  • 45hp Economy
  • 75hp Daily
  • 90hp Street
  • 120hp Race
If you had to choose one (no shift on the fly) which would you prefer?

I am leaning toward the economy, since that is really the main goal I have for the truck, as long as it can still get up to speed on the freeway comparably to stock.

·
2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
865 Posts
Any tune is 100x better than stock. I have a low HP tune because I figured there's less chance of breaking stuff prematurely. I tow and haul often so a hot tune isn't ideal for me.

·
1,114 Posts
The only tunes that net you any better economy are the high HP tunes. My 0-20-40-60 tunes are basically the same economy as bone stock, sans regens.

90-120 and my custom 180 tune yield the best MPG.

Just get all the tunes and the knob. Dollar for dollar it’s sorta stupid to NOT get the knob and the other tunes.

BUT, if you really wanted just one tune, get the 60HP tune. It’s good for basically everything from towing to daily driving.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The only tunes that net you any better economy are the high HP tunes. My 0-20-40-60 tunes are basically the same economy as bone stock, sans regens.

90-120 and my custom 180 tune yield the best MPG.

Just get all the tunes and the knob. Dollar for dollar it’s sorta stupid to NOT get the knob and the other tunes.

BUT, if you really wanted just one tune, get the 60HP tune. It’s good for basically everything from towing to daily driving.
The company I am looking at for tunes does not support SOTF. The only SOTF ones I am finding are non-delete or their sites look shady.

·
278 Posts
The company I am looking at for tunes does not support SOTF. The only SOTF ones I am finding are non-delete or their sites look shady.
Mines the same way. My only options were 0, 80, 125, and you have to sit there to let it load. I said yolo and I've been on the 125hp tune for 28k miles now. (98k total)

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I will use the other company referred to me, as well as the SOTF switch. EZ-Lynk and unlock cable in hand, test pipe ordered. I will order the switch and tunes when I am ready to install. Well on my way to getting this farm truck fixed up.

·
2017 Titan XD SV
29 Posts
Morning All! I have a Ezlynk tuner with the SOTF and I have noticed that I get better mileage when I’m in the higher HP tunes and heavier on the throttle!

why is this? It seems as if it would be the complete opposite!!

·
77 Posts
I have GDP SOTF and I run 90hp normally and when I tow heavier I run the 30hp and 60hp for lighter loads. 120hp really doesnt feel any different than 90hp. When I first installed them it didnt smoke at all except on higher tunes. Now it smokes like crazy unless im on the 0hp tune. 30 smokes a little, 60, 90, and 120 smoke the entire road up under heavy throttle until I let off. It doesnt clear up after the turbo spools. It stays black through the gears. If I roll into the throttle it really doesn't smoke through. Id rather have better tunes but since the EpA nazis did their thing I have no other choice in tunes right now.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keeping in this thread, but I can move to it's own thread if asked.
Okay, so order of operations just to make sure I am approaching it in the right way:
1. Connect EZ-Lynk
2. Install SOTF switch
3. Attach unlock cable
4. Install tunes
5. Disconnect unlock cable
6. Disconnect DPF/EGR wire connections
7. Remove components and install straight pipe

Between each step I plan to start the truck up and run it for a few minutes to make sure no codes are thrown. I am unsure about the SOTF switch though. I don't know if it can be installed before the tunes, or if it has to wait until after. Also, will running for just a few minutes after disconnecting the DPF/EGR stuff be sufficient to know if there are problems?

·
77 Posts
Keeping in this thread, but I can move to it's own thread if asked.
Okay, so order of operations just to make sure I am approaching it in the right way:
1. Connect EZ-Lynk
2. Install SOTF switch
3. Attach unlock cable
4. Install tunes
5. Disconnect unlock cable
6. Disconnect DPF/EGR wire connections
7. Remove components and install straight pipe

Between each step I plan to start the truck up and run it for a few minutes to make sure no codes are thrown. I am unsure about the SOTF switch though. I don't know if it can be installed before the tunes, or if it has to wait until after. Also, will running for just a few minutes after disconnecting the DPF/EGR stuff be sufficient to know if there are problems?
First Disconnect and remove the DpF and all the associated plugs and lines, replace with new pipe, connect ezlynk and unlock cable, upload tune, start truck and enjoy. You can keep the unlock cable intact or you can remove it once the tunes are uploaded. Make sure your batteries are fully charged because its going to tak a few minutes and its going to cycle alot of stuff.

·
2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
865 Posts
First Disconnect and remove the DpF and all the associated plugs and lines, replace with new pipe, connect ezlynk and unlock cable, upload tune, start truck and enjoy. You can keep the unlock cable intact or you can remove it once the tunes are uploaded. Make sure your batteries are fully charged because its going to tak a few minutes and its going to cycle alot of stuff.
I prefer to load the tune first so if something doesn't work, you aren't stuck putting all the exhaust back together.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I prefer to load the tune first so if something doesn't work, you aren't stuck putting all the exhaust back together.
That's what I was thinking. I am not going for speed here, I'm trying to make sure I do this in a methodical way that will make troubleshooting or returning back easier if there is a problem. I'd hate to do everything, figure out there is a problem then put it all back then later realize it was a bad wire in the SOTF switch...

·
278 Posts
It's pretty straight forward. The only issues I ran into was fitting my hand in some tight spaces on the stock exhaust to find the tabs, having to replace an exhaust gasket, and I had to cut about 2in off of the 5in exhaust.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I'm running the +100 HP tune, and my second short trip with it was a new high mpg for my truck. When it said 21.1 mpg I had to do a double take. My previous best was a very long interstate only trip of about 200 miles and that was 20.4 mpg. This one was back roads and mixed driving for 20 miles. I'll see if this keep up. Heck, not having to buy DEF and suffer through regens is nice, but this is bonus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts