Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
629 Posts
That is correct. There are so few owners on this forum. Lots going on that we don't hear about.
That's a brave extrapolation that would likely not be supported by data over a large population. If there are more instances than I'm aware of, that's fine. But it's not correct to extrapolate a large population failure rate from a the failure rate of what you admit to be a tiny dataset. Just sayin'

·
629 Posts
Also says 5k if towing or severe duty. Problem is lots of guys doing 10k and towing every mile.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My manual says "follow the oil life monitor." It makes no reference to a shorter oil change interval for towing, except that the oil life monitor will run faster. Can you tell me where you saw it?

·
769 Posts
My manual says "follow the oil life monitor." It makes no reference to a shorter oil change interval for towing, except that the oil life monitor will run faster. Can you tell me where you saw it?
My manual states it. Might be in the Cummins ??????????. But it’s there.

·
1,324 Posts
That's a brave extrapolation that would likely not be supported by data over a large population. If there are more instances than I'm aware of, that's fine. But it's not correct to extrapolate a large population failure rate from a the failure rate of what you admit to be a tiny dataset. Just sayin'
Didnt extrapolate anything.
Fact is there are few owner active on here compared to total truck sales.
Fact is we dont have access to statistics of failed cranks reported to nissan.
Fact is it could be a more frequent problem than some of us on here believe it to be.

Regardless im not concerned about it much - id just like for those who have problem be delt fairly with and nissan and Cummins to do whats needed to up their quality inspections a notch.

·
285 Posts
Oil change intervals on emissions based motors shouldn't ever exceed 5k is all I think on that guys issue.
The twin turbo EcoBoost thats in my limited expedition tells me when it needs an oil change....... when it hits 5% life left!

Never trust electronics!
Screenshot_20190727-224934_FordPass.jpg

·
629 Posts
My manual states it. Might be in the Cummins ??????????. But it’s there.

This is from the Diesel supplement, states pretty clearly to use the oil life monitor for severe service with the diesel. I did a text search on "5,000" in the entire manual and there was no mention anywhere of oil being changed at a fixed 5,000 mile interval (plenty of other references though, 36 in all, mostly hitting on the 105,000 mile interval items).

·
769 Posts
This is from the Diesel supplement, states pretty clearly to use the oil life monitor for severe service with the diesel. I did a text search on "5,000" in the entire manual and there was no mention anywhere of oil being changed at a fixed 5,000 mile interval (plenty of other references though, 36 in all, mostly hitting on the 105,000 mile interval items).

Doesn’t that bottom one say oil and filter at 5k? Very blurry but looks like it says it to me.

·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I did a little digging on this forum and a little on Facebook group about these crankshaft failures.

From what I have found (and I just did some basic scanning), it seems all the failures I have come across are A) bone stock trucks with over 90k miles (some much higher, like 150k) or b) trucks deleted and tuned on HPP/CTT tunes, regardless of mileage.

Additionally, it seems the HPP/CTT tunes put out a touch more power than others (at least initially with its first few revisions) and also those tunes rev higher than others. I’m yet to find a PPEI truck that has broken a crankshaft. However, I did find a broken crank with Hardway tunes and also a broken crank with GDP tunes- only one of each.

Again, I’m not a scientist, but this is what I have found in my own digging. Not trying to speculate, just to discuss (and also not break my own crank).

·
422 Posts
How much higher are the rpms going before defueling on the CTT tunes? I'm just speculating but I doubt it's enough to cause harmonic distortion on the crank. I could be wrong just throwing it out there.

·
1,324 Posts
How much higher are the rpms going before defueling on the CTT tunes? I'm just speculating but I doubt it's enough to cause harmonic distortion on the crank. I could be wrong just throwing it out there.
We need some damn trans tuning. Mine ctt has spiked on down shift and rpm build to almost 5 rpm. I pull my foot out of it when it tries to do that now and get that wuh wuh wuh sound outta the cai

·
285 Posts
No doubt my crank will last longer from avoiding that crap wether it was forged perfectly or not
I'm just still not buying that the crank in these are just failing in this application, yet surving just fine in the 30k lb application.

This is a bearing binding up issue due to lubrication and heat soak problems.

When a bearing seizes up... the crank will snap. Harmonics aren't breaking them.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts