Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Lubrication MAYBE. But heat soak? Come on. I’ve literally cooked engines with thermostats that failed and hot lapped race cars for nearly my whole life. Never seen heat soak snap a crankshaft.

·
1,324 Posts
No, heat soaked bearings swelling.
Can you find data on our crank bearings (metal type and quality) and what heat they swell at? Does the heat in the bearing area run 20 or more degrees higher in that area? I dont know crap bout engines but i wonder if ours runs too hot

·
12 Posts
Stupid question. I'm still looking but the 5.6l is looking attractive. How is its reliability? It struggled on the ike, but with 11klbs. I'm never over 8k. This diesel thing is like a mine field, especially after owning a eco diesel. Mines been good but the failure rates are high.

·
769 Posts
Stupid question. I'm still looking but the 5.6l is looking attractive. How is its reliability? It struggled on the ike, but with 11klbs. I'm never over 8k. This diesel thing is like a mine field, especially after owning a eco diesel. Mines been good but the failure rates are high.
5.6s are blowing up more than the diesels having issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
5.6s are blowing up more than the diesels having issues.

First off, wrong thread/sub forum for 5.6 discussion.

Secondly, that motor is stupid reliable. I own a 2017 5.6 and a 2010 5.6. No problems with either. The 2010 has over 200k on it.

·
285 Posts
Can you find data on our crank bearings (metal type and quality) and what heat they swell at? Does the heat in the bearing area run 20 or more degrees higher in that area? I dont know crap bout engines but i wonder if ours runs too hot
That information will be hard to find.

This is a google article of general point of reference.

Specifically I direct you to page 7.

[/URL]

You'll also understand why thin 30 weight oil plus exhaust carbons in oil can quickly destroy and new age diesel.

·
285 Posts
Any diesel pre 2013-2014 will be more reliable than current diesels.

It's a battle of light materials, hp/tq, and MPGs..... it's a recipe for failure from the drawing board.

·
769 Posts
First off, wrong thread/sub forum for 5.6 discussion.

Secondly, that motor is stupid reliable. I own a 2017 5.6 and a 2010 5.6. No problems with either. The 2010 has over 200k on it.
You my friend need to pay closer attention if you haven't seen them blowing up. They even have a tsb for rod knock inspection. Nothing like that for the Cummins. Second I didn't change the subject. Just stating facts that are related to the thread. Just like this one.

·
1,324 Posts
That information will be hard to find.

This is a google article of general point of reference.

Specifically I direct you to page 7.

[/URL]

You'll also understand why thin 30 weight oil plus exhaust carbons in oil can quickly destroy and new age diesel.
All egr and ccv were 100% eliminated from entry into my engine at infancy. Given that would 30 weight still pose a problem?

·
285 Posts
All egr and ccv were 100% eliminated from entry into my engine at infancy. Given that would 30 weight still pose a problem?
I think use and driving habits determine this.

It cracks me up how much the fan triggers on this thing just driving from home to a store..... but I can put in a 500mile day trip from Houston to San Antonio doing anywhere from 85-110mph along the way and it doesn't kick on at all lol.

·
1,324 Posts
I think use and driving habits determine this.

It cracks me up how much the fan triggers on this thing just driving from home to a store..... but I can put in a 500mile day trip from Houston to San Antonio doing anywhere from 85-110mph along the way and it doesn't kick on at all lol.
Low rpm and air flow...

·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Curious to see if that Lopez fella on here had a broken crankshaft.

Also, saw another confirmed broken crankshaft on Instagram this morning- he goes by CherokeeTitan. His dealer said ‘bad fuel’ caused his crankshaft to break.

This truck worries me lol.

·
1,505 Posts
Curious to see if that Lopez fella on here had a broken crankshaft.

Also, saw another confirmed broken crankshaft on Instagram this morning- he goes by CherokeeTitan. His dealer said ‘bad fuel’ caused his crankshaft to break.

This truck worries me lol.
How many cranks have broken on stock trucks vs tuned? Because the trend seems to me that the tuned trucks are all breaking. As for being worried, dont be, chevy has the same problem and dodge cant keep a trans in a truck. They all break

·
41 Posts
Got to be honest- the amount of crank failures, engine fires, blued bearings, (insert your favorite flavor of failure here) has got me worried as an owner.

I guess what I’m getting at is- do I delete and bulletproof the truck or do I trade now while I can. Really has me on the fence with all the recent threads popping up on here. Granted, I know this a small sample size of truck owners on here- I also realize that some folks create an account on here solely for an issue they have. But, I’m still worried.

Just looking for everyone’s thoughts on all the ‘bad news’ lately!

In case anyone cares: 2017 SL trim diesel w/ 22k miles and is bone stock. Also, I swindled my dealer into a free maint package- so every bit of work has been done by them, on time, for free.
Think about it, Ford has the powerstroke which is made in Europe by who knows, it has problems. Ford is cocky, not consumer friendly and needs to spend tons to con people into buying their product. Chevy has the duramax, God only knows where thats made, it has it's problems. Chevy(GM) was bailed out by you and I bu remains arrogant and overpriced and also needs to spend millions upon millions attempting to trick us into buying their junk.Ram(FCA) has the ecodiesel now, made in Italy(who has never made any decent auto products), it has problems. Ram(FCA) has been peddling lousy transmissions/slipshod manufacturing for decades and also spends a fortune trying to whip us up into buying their crap.Nissan has the Cummins which is made in Indiana by a company with a very rich heritage of making quality engines used in many sectors around the world. It has some problems. Nissan (Japanese) is more humble, more consumer friendly and spend virtually nothing on advertising. Most buy their (Nissan) trucks because we are not duped by slick advertising, we want quality and we dare depart from the herd mentality. Nissan/Cummins will not abandon You!!

·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Think about it, Ford has the powerstroke which is made in Europe by who knows, it has problems. Ford is cocky, not consumer friendly and needs to spend tons to con people into buying their product. Chevy has the duramax, God only knows where thats made, it has it's problems. Chevy(GM) was bailed out by you and I bu remains arrogant and overpriced and also needs to spend millions upon millions attempting to trick us into buying their junk.Ram(FCA) has the ecodiesel now, made in Italy(who has never made any decent auto products), it has problems. Ram(FCA) has been peddling lousy transmissions/slipshod manufacturing for decades and also spends a fortune trying to whip us up into buying their crap.Nissan has the Cummins which is made in Indiana by a company with a very rich heritage of making quality engines used in many sectors around the world. It has some problems. Nissan (Japanese) is more humble, more consumer friendly and spend virtually nothing on advertising. Most buy their (Nissan) trucks because we are not duped by slick advertising, we want quality and we dare depart from the herd mentality. Nissan/Cummins will not abandon You!!
No, no. I’m definitely with you- they all have their issues. My frustration is simple- I’ve had 2 Xterra’s (both 2nd gens) and 2 Frontiers and I ran all of them, except for the last Frontier, over 200k with nothing more than routine maintenance. Granted, (knock on wood) my Cummins Titan has been fault free, other than a rattle in the door

41 - 60 of 79 Posts