Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
1,324 Posts
No, no. I’m definitely with you- they all have their issues. My frustration is simple- I’ve had 2 Xterra’s (both 2nd gens) and 2 Frontiers and I ran all of them, except for the last Frontier, over 200k with nothing more than routine maintenance. Granted, (knock on wood) my Cummins Titan has been fault free, other than a rattle in the door
Your door rattles? Trade that shit in bro. Lol

·
464 Posts
You my friend need to pay closer attention if you haven't seen them blowing up. They even have a tsb for rod knock inspection. Nothing like that for the Cummins. Second I didn't change the subject. Just stating facts that are related to the thread. Just like this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is accurate for those interested. I did some research as I was looking at a Gasser version of the XD truck. Apparently, Nissan has resolved the issue in the 2019, but 2016-2018 are very prone to rod knock along with blown engines. Nissan is replacing a bunch of engines under warranty - its all over the other forums. I think this 5.6 engine will be fantastic after 4-5 years of working out the bugs (it was a new engine in 2016 from the old 5.6s). Either way, I wouldn't touch a used gasser unless you have a great warranty for it. Go for the 2019 and newer ones. Back on topic, I think the 2016-2018 Cummins are more reliable than the gasser versions in terms of major failures.

·
83 Posts
You my friend need to pay closer attention if you haven't seen them blowing up. They even have a tsb for rod knock inspection. Nothing like that for the Cummins. Second I didn't change the subject. Just stating facts that are related to the thread. Just like this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Rexey, I'm sure you have a link or two if this "problem" is widespread?

·
19 Posts
Nice swindle!
Im not worried. I would be if realbored said these trucks are catastrophic failing at 10% or higher rate but i bet its closer to 2%. I have faith in Cummins. I expect my truck to live a long time. With that said i dont use high tunes and i run amsoil and bypass filtration because i want the best chance possible to not be a statistic
I would like to know how often are you doing your oil changes since using the Amsoil synthetic oil with the bypass system

·
19 Posts
Cuz I'm still doing my oil changes under factory warranty to the maintenance program but when it runs out I'm going to switch my X well too and want to do the same thing with the bypass system

·
1,324 Posts
Cuz I'm still doing my oil changes under factory warranty to the maintenance program but when it runs out I'm going to switch my X well too and want to do the same thing with the bypass system
Bypass filtration does not void warranty. My nissan dealer installed mine. They think im the best customer ever cuz i pamper truck health.

Every 10k oil and insane diesel 1 micron bypass filter and stock filter changes. Did it early on as well as delete so my engine is damn near virgin. Guy on facebook has gotten 30k without changing oil and getting good oil health reports from oil laboratory. He uses 2 micron amsoil bypass. Insane folters so good - need to at least change filter every 10k

·
231 Posts
Bypass filtration does not void warranty. My nissan dealer installed mine. They think im the best customer ever cuz i pamper truck health.

Every 10k oil and insane diesel 1 micron bypass filter and stock filter changes. Did it early on as well as delete so my engine is damn near virgin. Guy on facebook has gotten 30k without changing oil and getting good oil health reports from oil laboratory. He uses 2 micron amsoil bypass. Insane folters so good - need to at least change filter every 10k
Did you go with the Frame mount or under the hood? Trying to figure out whose piggy bank I will need to raid to get one!
Gonna have a chat with local dealership svc manager & diesel tech, and see if they can not only do it, but get an "OK" from the mothership in writing. I don't want ANY risk or warranty crap down the line, especially with the 5.0 being discontinued.

Thanks for the info!

Russ

·
Banned
356 Posts
Did you go with the Frame mount or under the hood? Trying to figure out whose piggy bank I will need to raid to get one!
Gonna have a chat with local dealership svc manager & diesel tech, and see if they can not only do it, but get an "OK" from the mothership in writing. I don't want ANY risk or warranty crap down the line, especially with the 5.0 being discontinued.

Thanks for the info!

Russ
Here is mine mounted on the frame.

Attachments

·
1,324 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Russ
Frame. Liked more red under hood but space is even better so

·
2 Posts
Got to be honest- the amount of crank failures, engine fires, blued bearings, (insert your favorite flavor of failure here) has got me worried as an owner.

I guess what I’m getting at is- do I delete and bulletproof the truck or do I trade now while I can. Really has me on the fence with all the recent threads popping up on here. Granted, I know this a small sample size of truck owners on here- I also realize that some folks create an account on here solely for an issue they have. But, I’m still worried.

Just looking for everyone’s thoughts on all the ‘bad news’ lately!

In case anyone cares: 2017 SL trim diesel w/ 22k miles and is bone stock. Also, I swindled my dealer into a free maint package- so every bit of work has been done by them, on time, for free.
I have a 2017 5.0 cummins with 72k. My truck is used for work purposes. Only thing done to it is a SnB intake and a stereo system. Any way I was on my way to work approx 60 miles to jobsite. I exit the free way after noticing a weird sound. Soon as I come to a stop at a red light the truck shuts off and the oil light comes on. I look under the hood to see if any oil leaked out or if anything looks damaged or out of place. But everything looked good. Checked oil levels and they were fine. So i tried to crank the motor, it would crank but wouldn't start. So we tried to get it to start but in the process the batteries drained. And starter didn't have enough power to crank motor. Eventually the starter over heated and caught fire. Got it towed to nissan. After a week goes by they call me and say I need to provide maintenance records. So I did. All oil changes were done at a certified shop and only used Rotella t7 oil. After the documents were provided to nissan i get a call the next day. The advisor tells me the motor is locked up. After hearing that I begin to question the diagnosis. (How can the motor be locked up if it was trying to crank?) They didn't have a answer for that. So I asked them what the next step is. And they said we have to get a oil sample and send it to a lab to get tested. This is currently the stage I'm in right now. Truck has been at nissan for almost 3 weeks. And still no decision to repair or replace has been decided. The cherry on top is the refuse to provide a loaner vehicle for me to get work done. Instead said we dont provide loaners currently due to covid. But at the same time I see a loaner vehicle pull into the service dept. To me personally it seems like nissan is trying to weasel their way out of having to replace motor under warranty. I really liked the titan but I would never buy another nissan vehicle simply because how they are handling my warranty claim.

·
231 Posts
... So I asked them what the next step is. And they said we have to get a oil sample and send it to a lab to get tested. This is currently the stage I'm in right now. Truck has been at nissan for almost 3 weeks. And still no decision to repair or replace has been decided. The cherry on top is the refuse to provide a loaner vehicle for me to get work done. Instead said we dont provide loaners currently due to covid. But at the same time I see a loaner vehicle pull into the service dept. To me personally it seems like nissan is trying to weasel their way out of having to replace motor under warranty. I really liked the titan but I would never buy another nissan vehicle simply because how they are handling my warranty claim.
Keep us posted...

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I have a 2017 5.0 cummins with 72k. My truck is used for work purposes. Only thing done to it is a SnB intake and a stereo system. Any way I was on my way to work approx 60 miles to jobsite. I exit the free way after noticing a weird sound. Soon as I come to a stop at a red light the truck shuts off and the oil light comes on. I look under the hood to see if any oil leaked out or if anything looks damaged or out of place. But everything looked good. Checked oil levels and they were fine. So i tried to crank the motor, it would crank but wouldn't start. So we tried to get it to start but in the process the batteries drained. And starter didn't have enough power to crank motor. Eventually the starter over heated and caught fire. Got it towed to nissan. After a week goes by they call me and say I need to provide maintenance records. So I did. All oil changes were done at a certified shop and only used Rotella t7 oil. After the documents were provided to nissan i get a call the next day. The advisor tells me the motor is locked up. After hearing that I begin to question the diagnosis. (How can the motor be locked up if it was trying to crank?) They didn't have a answer for that. So I asked them what the next step is. And they said we have to get a oil sample and send it to a lab to get tested. This is currently the stage I'm in right now. Truck has been at nissan for almost 3 weeks. And still no decision to repair or replace has been decided. The cherry on top is the refuse to provide a loaner vehicle for me to get work done. Instead said we dont provide loaners currently due to covid. But at the same time I see a loaner vehicle pull into the service dept. To me personally it seems like nissan is trying to weasel their way out of having to replace motor under warranty. I really liked the titan but I would never buy another nissan vehicle simply because how they are handling my warranty claim.
Any update? I am curious if they will cover it...I have experienced the same as you re Nissan Corporate warranty... They fight me every step of the way on warranty. I have won some and lost some arguments with them on this very topic. I don't get how going the extra mile for the customer is bad for a part Japanese company. I had magnetic shock issues in my Acura MDX and had them goodwill warranty it twice to the tune of 6 grand per incidence. Most I paid was the alignment. But THAT is customer service. I will admit that they also needed my servicing receipts which my dealer had so I didn't have to do any legwork on it :)

·
269 Posts
We'll add a 2016 to the ranks of engine failures. My engine went almost a month or so ago. The truck spun a bearing. Always used top tier oil and changed every 5000 miles. Started with a type writer tick in the mornings and afternoons until it warmed up. Took it in they said it was normal and sent me on my way. Took it to a local diesel mechanic and he thought it was an injector was going bad. Took it back to the dealer and told them what the other mechanic said and still got know where with Nissan. Went out of town a couple weeks later camping and while cruising down the interstate at 35 she started crackling real bad got off of the road shut her down. Towed to a nearby dealer. Not even a hour later from being dropped off I was told I needed a new motor. Also I was missing some parts from underneath of the truck from 2000 miles till she went. 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
296 Posts
We'll add a 2016 to the ranks of engine failures. My engine went almost a month or so ago. The truck spun a bearing. Always used top tier oil and changed every 5000 miles. Started with a type writer tick in the mornings and afternoons until it warmed up. Took it in they said it was normal and sent me on my way. Took it to a local diesel mechanic and he thought it was an injector was going bad. Took it back to the dealer and told them what the other mechanic said and still got know where with Nissan. Went out of town a couple weeks later camping and while cruising down the interstate at 35 she started crackling real bad got off of the road shut her down. Towed to a nearby dealer. Not even a hour later from being dropped off I was told I needed a new motor. Also I was missing some parts from underneath of the truck from 2000 miles till she went. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Really sorry to hear that! You were pretty low mileage for a 2016 right? So should still have the powertrain warranty right? Unless the delete caused a problem with the warranty? That really sucks!

·
268 Posts
Sorry to hear. This is why I dumped mine while I could still get something for it in August. I also lost parts at 1200 miles. Cummins dropping the engine on all platforms spoke volumes.

·
269 Posts
Yeah I traded as well the day I got her back went straight to 4 different dealers and got the most and traded her in. Didn't want to but was paranoid after that.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts